Electronic health record (EHR) software can significantly improve the quality of care and running a private practice. This technology is essential for any practice looking to maximize patient care and save money.
To maximize the use of a cardiology EHR and ensure it is tailored to your clinic’s specific needs and requirements, you’ll need to select the right features within your budget.
This guide can help you understand the features necessary for cardiology EHRs, the cost of cardiology EHRs, and the best cardiology EHR software
Best Cardiology EHRs for a Small Practice in 2023
The best EMR should be able to provide comprehensive clinical data, improve the efficacy and security of the practice, and manage financial details if necessary.
GEMMS ONE Cardiology EHR
GEMMS ONE is a comprehensive Health IT system designed by a cardiologist specifically for cardiology practices. This is one of the only EHR software specifically tailored to cardiology care. This means that it comes with custom cardiology features that can be customized for each cardiology small practice.
GEMMS ONE is a cloud-based EHR system so your clinic can streamline healthcare processes while ensuring that patient data is securely stored.
Key features include:
- Compliance Under Appropriate Use Criteria (AUC) – GEMMS ONE meets CMS standards and requirements by including an AUC orders module, part of its integrated system. GEMMS ONE can also handle patient eligibility verifications received from Waystar.
- Electronic Patient Statement Processing – GEMMS ONE clinical tracking tools simplify financial tracking and quickly provide up-to-date statements and reports, whether you prefer a weekly or monthly schedule.
Claims Denial Management – Allows for quick responses to denials or rejections from remittance or explanation of benefits, including from Waystar, leading to improved handling of denials. Automating this process can bring even better results.
- Staff Auditing and Production Report – Auditing is a valuable tool that helps identify weak points and develop strategies for improvement. It can help teams increase their performance and quality.
- Financial Features – GemmsOne comes with Credit Balance Accounts for managing your credit balance can be more straightforward with various benefits, making it the perfect solution for future financial management. It also comes with Accounts Receivable Report Cards to thoroughly investigate your accounts receivable that meets MGMA criteria.
- Patient Records and Operations – Provides clinicians and healthcare personnel with tools to develop optimal workflows for the patient care cycle. It also allows storing patient information on a centralized database, permitting practitioners to access clinical and financial data from inside or outside the office.
- Ongoing Patient Monitoring & Real-time Insights – Allows for monitoring of a patient’s medical progress to provide quality care. It offers real-time insights into their treatment and enables any potential problems to be addressed promptly to greatly improve the overall patient experience.
- Secure Ease-of-Use – GEMMS ONE is secure but allows for a full range of convenient functionality. Not only is the dashboard easy to read, but it also enables secure direct messaging with other healthcare providers.
GEMMS ONE is a perfect EHR system for small and medium-sized cardiology practices. In addition to EHR tools, GEMMS ONE offers billing services, patient scheduling, and image archiving capabilities.
Cupid EHR from Epic
Cupid EHR from Epic is another EHR software that can support small cardiology practices. With access to revenue features, patient experience features, analytics, and more, Cupid EHR is a boutique solution that many might find useful.
Cupid EHR from Epic boasts the following:
- Cloud-based EHR
- Offers integrated order entry, scheduling, procedure documentation, structured reporting, and data analytics for cardiology practices
- Supports a wide range of workflows, including Echocardiograms, Ultrasound vascular, Cardiac Cath, stress testing, Electrophysiology, and structured documentation
- Offers interactive diagrams of coronary arteries and interventions
With Cupid EHR from Epic, you can improve patient engagement and your medical record system.
Objective Medical Systems (OMS EHR)
Objective Medical Systems or OMS EHR is a popular EHR software that offers a Stage 3 certified electronic health record for cardiology clinics and hospitals.
This structured information system provides synchronization across all diagnostic modalities that are intuitive for cardiology care.
OMS EHR features can improve chronic care management and principal care management, and they include:
- Offering cloud-based cardiology-focused EHR
- Accessing a color-coded dashboard that highlights those patients in need of attention first. This enables early intervention, minimizes hospital admissions, and helps improve patient outcomes.
- Offers a comprehensive cardiology practice solution
- 16 available reporting modules for all popular diagnostics
- Allows for interfacing with diagnostic equipment so that results may be viewed directly within the EHR without any scanning or manual document management required
OMS EHR Core products are:
- OMS C3 Chronic Care Coordinator
- OMS Trace Analytics
- OMS Electronic Health Record
- OMS Diagnostic Reporting
DrChrono offers an effective EHR and medical billing platform compatible with iPads and iPhones. This allows healthcare providers and medical practices to manage their patients’ intake, care, charting, billing, and revenue cycles effortlessly.
Medical professionals can improve their efficiency by incorporating customizable medical forms, e-prescribing, scheduling tools, real-time patient eligibility checks, and a patient portal into their workflow.
- Allows practices to customize the EHR’s interface and functionality at the point of care and through its mobile applications available on iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch
- eRx feature allows you to send any prescription electronically via iPhone, iPad, or the web, including EPCS (Electronic Prescribing Controlled Substances). This adds convenience and can streamline your workflow and reduce errors.
- Includes scheduling, billing, and patient reminders
- Has a patient portal module, allowing providers to maintain constant communication with patients and allowing easy communication of patient data
The DrChrono Partner Marketplace provides a multitude of app integrations to fulfill your EHR and practice management software needs. The award-winning medical FHIR API even offers healthcare app developers the opportunity to create more solutions.
Athena Cardiology EHR (Athenahealth)
Another top contender for cardiology EHR is Athena Cardiology EHR. Athena was developed in 2019 to create a partner network to improve the care continuum. Core aspects of Athenahealth are its EHR software, revenue cycle services, patient engagement, and telehealth.
Core features include:
- Offering cloud-based services, including integrated revenue cycle management, medical billing, patient engagement, care coordination, and population health management
- Ensuring your value-based care efforts succeed and close more gaps with reliable, up-to-date data. Making point-of-care decisions is easier and faster with useful intelligence automatically integrated into your workflow.
- Allowing cardiology practices to collect, analyze and generate reports on the quality of care and other patient data
Like GEMMS ONE, Athena boasts interoperability or shared features to improve diagnostic care in cardiology clinics.
Merge Cardio from IBM
Merge Cardio from IBM helps small practices with regular clinical documentation. Their web-based EHR has many cardiology-specific features that many clinics look for.
- Web-based EHR with cardiology-specific features
- Provides an easily accessible, centralized, web-based look at a patient’s complete record
- Streamlines workflow with the ability to view multiple imaging tests of one patient, along with other helpful features like image annotation and a complete set of measurement tools. This is a great way to increase productivity in any medical setting.
- To create comprehensive reports, connect to applications dealing with 4D, echocardiography, nuclear medicine, CT angiography, and pediatric echo reporting.
- Provides an easy-to-access, hierarchical timeline view of your patient’s cardiovascular record, so you no longer have to hop across screens or go through exhaustive searches. Furthermore, relevant prior notifications are also included!
- Increases speed of reimbursements through a sophisticated automated billing function
This is a useful and comprehensive information management system that cardiology clinics can consider in their small practice.
What are the Best Cardiology EHR Software Features?
When it comes to EHR software, there are a lot of options out there. However, not many of them provide a focalized product for cardiology clinic needs.
Cardiology clinics need software that provides accurate clinical documentation, improved communication between healthcare providers, and useful metrics.
Here are some features you should look for in an EHR system like GemmsOne, which aren’t commonly found in general EHR software.
SOAP Notes in a Cardiology Practice
SOAP notes are an efficient way of entering patient data into the EHR system. They provide a valuable template for quickly and accurately inputting info.
A SOAP note is composed of four parts:
- Subjective: a patient’s description of their condition
- Objective: patient’s physical exam and vital signs are recorded for further review
- Assessment: diagnosis or multiple diagnoses summary
- Plan: the course of treatment that may include prescriptions, procedures, and therapy.
SOAP notes in EHR software provide standardized patient records storage, making critical data easier to access and workflow far more efficient.
Diagnostic Tool Connection & Integration
Cardiac care requires a range of specialized instruments to facilitate checks and monitor progress. These tools are essential components of any cardiopulmonary diagnosis.
An EMR software for cardiologists should be able to integrate EKG/ECG data, connect with labs, combine EHR with cardiology PACS and other diagnostic tools into the patient’s folder, and provide a seamless connection between them all.
A comprehensive cardiology EHR should go beyond collecting data from on-site medical devices. It should also be capable of retrieving and securely keeping diagnostic imaging data acquired offsite in the patient’s profile for future reference.
An EHR system tailored for cardiologists should be equipped to transform procedure codes into appropriate billing documents.
EHR with advanced coding capabilities has made it easier to document cardiac procedures accurately. This decreases the time taken for data entry and reduces the risk of coding mistakes, which can lead to denied claims and, thus, financial losses.
Tracking Cardiology Meds
Cardiovascular patients must be cautious with their medicines since there is a severe risk of adverse drug interactions between prescribed and non-prescription medications.
A drug database integrated into cardiology EHR can improve patient safety and care by identifying potential drug interactions.
Cardiology Data Entry
Automating data entry processes is an efficient approach to ensure accurate medical records. An EHR system dedicated to cardiology should provide customizable template features, facilitating the input of clinical data such as those that a cardiologist may come across while attending to patients, including:
- Pacemaker-related data
- SOAP notes
- Cardiology-specific ICD/CPT codes
Cardiology-specific EMR software should include tailored templates that enable users to enter pertinent information during patient care, such as palpitations, auscultation, heart sounds, and pulse.
GEMMS ONE EHR for Better Cardiac Patient Care
While there are a few workable solutions on the market, none compare to GEMMS ONE. From EHR software to practice management and more, GEMMS has everything you need to make your cardiology clinic or practice run smoothly and efficiently.
It takes a cardiologist to truly understand what is needed to attend to patient care and run a practice properly. GEMMS ONE was built from insider knowledge, and it contains the features you need to improve your practice.
Reach out today to schedule a demo!